Wednesday 26 September 2012

Today's Illustrated Interview - Paula Franco!


Where do you live/work?

I live in Argentina, in a beautiful city called Rosario. I work from home, which is small but very comfortable.




What do you love about working/living there?

Many things! Rosario is a big city and has many cinemas, theaters, libraries, exhibition centers, museums, craft fairs and parks. The place where I work is very bright and quiet. It has a large window through which I can see my little garden. My dog is always there to keep me company (we are inseparable) Working from home is great!



What don't you like?

There are too many cars in the city. I think people should drive less and walk or bike more.

What do you love most about being an illustrator?

Creating characters and telling their stories! The whole creative process is exciting, I enjoy it very much! I'm very demanding with myself and I spend most of the day illustrating. It’s too much fun! When I draw I feel free.



How do you work?

I start with lots of pencil sketches. I love to draw on paper. The coloring is always digital. From time to time I enjoy working in acrylic.



What's the hardest part of your job?

Stopping working I guess! Sometimes I work more than 16 hours straight! Fortunately, I have a Mark and a Hannah, they guide me and care for me.  I consider them as part of my family. Their advice is very important!

What/who inspires you?

Wandering around libraries, fairs and exhibitions, talking to other illustrators, watching many movies.
When I studied Art History in college, I fell in love with the work of Monet, Van Gogh and Hokusai, among others (in fact I have some reproductions of their paintings at home) Their work is breathtaking.
I really admire Glen Keane’s drawings and his character designs, I'm in love with Eyvind Earle's concept art and also Mary Blair’s work is very inspiring!
I always listen to music while working, it's an important element when it comes to illustrating. Music 
creates the perfect atmosphere.

What do you like to do when you're not illustrating?

I love reading! One thing that I really enjoy is to visit book stores searching for used books. I also like to take care of my plants and to work as a volunteer at the animal shelter. I love animals with all my 
heart!!!

How did you get into illustration?

As a child I drew constantly! It was my favorite thing to do. I spent hours admiring the illustrations in books. I thought it was the best job in the world! It  truly is!
My parents always supported me, along with my husband. In college I had two teachers that motivated 
me to continue illustrating and now I feel very lucky to have Mark and Hannah as my guides.

Any tips for aspiring illustrators?

To never give up! And of course, to draw and practice constantly!

What's your ultimate dream?

In the future I would love to create characters and backgrounds for animation! It would be great! Fortunately I have fulfilled one of my most important dreams of my childhood: illustrating children's books! That makes me very happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment